Tops Markets Vs Wegmans Chicken Meal Deal Price Comparision
Tops Markets often has what they call Family Meal Deals. Often times everyone in our coupon groups say how they think they are not a very good deal. I have to say that personally, I find some to be good and others not so good. And that’s only because of the items they offer for free. Many times I cannot use those items. I think it’s a great offer that Tops gives it’s customers. So I decided that I would do a comparison to Wegmans like I have done before in the past (read about my Tops vs Wegmans post). I tried to match up items for items the best I could based on what Wegmans offers.
Tops this week has the Chicken Meal Deal. You purchase a large big pack of boneless chicken at $4.29 per lb and you can get the 8 items below for FREE. They claim that the items that are free are over a $21.75 value. Depending on how your store packs these packages, you may be able to find a package for around as low as $16.00 (I was able to). Most packages will most likely be priced around $20.00.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Big Packs – 4 – 5 lb. average $4.29 per lb = around as low as $16.00 (but let’s say $20 since that will probably be the most common)
Get the Following 8 Items FREE:
- Steamables Red Creamer Potatoes 24 oz.
- Tops Baked Beans Original, Maple Bacon or Country Style, 16 oz.
- Pepperidge Farm Garlic Bread 10 oz.
- Tops Tortilla Chips All Varieties, 9-11.5 oz.
- Tops Premium Salsa Selected Varieties, 16 fl. oz.
- Fresh Baked Angel Food Cake Perfect For a Light Dessert, Top with your Favorite Fresh Fruit, 10 oz.
- Tops Spring Water 12 Pack 12-16.9 oz.
- Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad All Varieties, 7.25-8.3 oz.
The total for one big pack of chicken and all 8 items would be around $20.00.
Wegmans sells their big packs of Boneless Chicken for $1.79 per pound at 5 lb average package – around $9.00 a package (but I’ve never personally seen any packaged this small at my Wegmans so we will go with the average price – $11)
- Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad – $1.99
- Wegmans Food You Feel Good About Potatoes, Red, Whole, Cleaned and Cut, 24 oz – $2.99
- Wegmans Pork and Beans in Tomato Sauce, 16 oz – $0.79
- Pepperidge Farm Garlic Bread, 10 oz – $2.79
- Wegmans Tortilla Chips, 9 oz – $1.99
- Wegmans Food You Feel Good About Salsa, Verde, Roasted, 16 oz – $2.99
- Sara Lee Pound Cake, 10.75 oz – $4.29
- Wegmans Food You Feel Good About Spring Water, 12 pk – $2.99
Total for all would the items at Wegmans would be about $32.00. That’s for one big pack of chicken and 8 items listed.
Now if we wanted to compare same amount of meat, let’s say you got exactly 6 pounds of this chicken at each store. That would be $10.74 at Wegmans and $25.74 at Tops. Of course, then Wegmans would be the better deal. Now let’s take into account the 8 extra items you would get at Tops this week. Compared best I could to compatible Wegmans items you would be paying $20.82 for them where at Tops they are free when you get the chicken meal deal. In the end, Tops wins again. Don’t forget you earn gas points at Tops as well (read about Tops Gas Points).
The biggest thing between Tops and Wegmans you have to think about is that Tops offers sales. So when they offer free products in their sale, the item needed to purchase in order to get the free items will not be on sale as well. Why would they give you free items and cut the price of the others? It’s one or the other. Either being a great deal. So many don’t understand this and think Tops is cheating you out of a deal by increasing their prices for these deals. They do not increase their prices, but instead offer them at full retail shelf price. I’ve watched these BOGO sales for many years now, and I can assure you Tops does not raise the prices just for these offers.
So….What do you think? Do you think the meal deal is a good deal now after seeing the breakdown in price comparison? Check out the last beef meal deal comparison I did ????