Misfits Market is the New Frugal Way to Buy Produce
I decided to try out Misfits Market which is a home delivery service of “ugly” fresh fruits and vegetables. You have three subscription options for choosing a box one time, one week, or a two week subscription. Misfits Market is a subscription box of sometimes funny-looking that is designed to break the cycle of food waste. They source high-quality organic produce that has a few quirks—onions that are too small, potatoes that are shaped like your favorite celebrity, and carrots that fell in love and got twisted together. In other words though…perfectly good produce. Unfortunately, misfit fruits and vegetables are often rejected by grocery stores and supermarkets due to natural imperfections or variations in size.
We opted in on every two weeks. There are two choices the Mischief Box which contains about 10-12 pounds of fruits and veggies (enough to feed 2 for a week) and costs $19, the Madness contains about 18-20 pounds and serves five for the week costs $34. You can use this link here to receive 25% off your first box.
TYPES OF BOXES AVAILABLE
SMALL – $19
- Our smaller, starter box ($35-$40 worth of grocery store or farmers’ market produce)
- Approx. 10-12 lbs. of organic mixed fruits and veggies (seasonal produce may include leafy greens—kale, lettuce, arugula—squash, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, apples, peaches, plums, celery, cabbage). Weight of box may vary based on type of produce & season!
- Serves 1-2 people for a week
- Ideal for cooking some meals, snacking, etc.
LARGE – $34
- Our largest selection and variety ($65-$70 worth of grocery store or farmers’ market produce)
- Approx. 18-20 lbs. of organic mixed fruits and veggies (seasonal produce may include leafy greens—kale, lettuce, arugula—squash, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, apples, peaches, plums, celery, cabbage). Weight of box may vary based on type of produce & season!
- Serves 4-5 people for a week
- Ideal for families and households that cook daily
I absolutely love having to find new and different recipes to try out some vegetables and fruits I don’t normally buy. The boxes come packed in a eco-friendly insulation that is either recycled newspaper or a cornstarch based insulation that is totally compo-stable at home just by opening the green recyclable packing and running the panels under hot water.
What’s in the Boxes?
In fall and winter you can expect items like apples, potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, citrus, lettuces/leafy greens, onions, and peppers, etc. By spring time there will be more berries, asparagus and summer you will see peaches and tomatoes. The surprise is part of the fun! You can also check out the most current list of what they are offering each week on their site. They source the produce from certified organic farms and partners that provide them with non-GMO food.
Misfits Market does allow you to edit your subscription and change it as needed. They also have great customer service. When my most recent box came I had a bad eggplant so I emailed them. The next day they refunded me the cost of the eggplant to my account.
Recipes Made from Some Items in Boxes
I searched Pinterest to help me find some recipes to use my produce with. That’s pretty easy to do if you don’t have any meal ideas off the top of your head to use with these items. Specially if you get some items that you are not familiar with. They do not send boxes with a list of items included, but you can check their site for the recent items sent out or simply email them and they will let you know.
- Used limes and butternut squash and made this Honey Soy Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner.
- I used some onion, zucchini and tomatoes from my misfits box and made this Grated Zucchini Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
- Used potatoes, onions and kale to make this Copy Cat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup.
- Used onion, cabbage, celery root (in place of the celery I wanted to use) and carrots from my misfits box and made a Chicken Ramen Noodles.
What are you waiting for? Try your own box and save 25% off your first box.
As you can see from the images shared, that they offer a nice range of produce in their boxes. You can easily spend a lot more at the grocery stores. If you are a huge fan of produce then this is the box for you. Simply order and get your items in the mail. What’s better then great savings and having items delivered to your home?! Misfits Market is the New Frugal Way to Buy Produce!
They deliver to all zip codes in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island, but are expanding.